Sunday, November 11, 2012

Lest We Forget.....


Today is Remembrance Day in Commonwealth Countries and Veteran's Day in the US. Since I lived in Canada for about 20-ish years I more tend to associate November 11th with Remembrance Day. It is a day to remember the members of the armed forces who have died in the line of duty.

I remember the ceremony at 11am over at the cenotaph in town, freezing in the cold, and the lone bugle playing at the end of the minute of silence (which always seemed forever long as a kid).

"The red remembrance poppy has become a familiar emblem of Remembrance Day due to the poem "In Flanders Fields". These poppies bloomed across some of the worst battlefields of Flanders in World War I, their brilliant red colour an appropriate symbol for the blood spilled in the war." (wikipedia)
 
In Flander's Fields by Colonel John McCrae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
      Between the crosses, row on row,
   That mark our place; and in the sky
   The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
   Loved and were loved, and now we lie
         In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
   The torch; be yours to hold it high.
   If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
         In Flanders fields.


So I created a mani with a Remembrance Day poppy. I used Finger Paints Black Expressionism (two coats) and Zoya Sooki.

4 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my blog! I love getting comments! Though I may not be able to respond to each one right away, I do read and appreciate each and every one, they are actually a highlight of my day! If you have any questions, I'll try my best to respond quickly! If you would like for me to check out your blog, email me your link: geekyowl (at) gmail (dot) com.